Global SPX FLOW

Global Website

Americas

Asia - Pacific

literature
 

SPX Celebrates 100th Anniversary



While the automobile was gaining popularity in the United States about 100 years ago, the founder of the company that eventually became SPX created a new method for manufacturing piston rings. Until then, piston rings were cut from a long cylinder of cast iron. Our founder’s new idea was to cast them individually to achieve precise specifications.

This innovation led to formation of the Piston Ring Company in 1912. After producing 200 sample piston rings, they were presented to a purchasing agent at Continental Motors Corporation. Liking the quality and the price, the agent placed an order.

In the first year of operation, the small company produced 348,000 rings. A foundry was added to the main factory in 1913. The following year the company sold one million rings. By 1916, the foundry was doubled in size and a four-story machine shop was constructed.

Today, this small company has seen significant change and growth to become the SPX Corporation – a global Fortune 500 multi-industry manufacturing leader with more than $5 billion in annual revenue. Over its 100 years of innovation, SPX has advanced from making piston rings to offering more than 1,200 technically advanced products and services that provide solutions for customers globally.

To celebrate the company’s 100th anniversary, SPX has developed a special anniversary mark and published a timeline of key events over its 100 years of growth and innovation. Click here to view SPX’s historical timeline and learn more about the transition from the Piston Ring Company in 1912 to the Sealed Power Corporation in 1931 and then to the SPX Corporation in 1988.